A Release of Liability form is a legal document or agreement between two parties, which would protect them legally if in case someone is injured while performing the activities. Generally some business servicers or event organizers or any activity organizers may conduct events that might be risky for the participants. If any of them who participates in such events and gets injured they may try to sue your company for the damages. In order to avoid these scenarios it is good to sign the Release of Liability form mutually between both the parties namely the Releasor (person who participates in the activity or the one who promises not to sue) and the Releasee (person or the company who is liable for the damage).
In simple words, we can say it as the trust between two parties. This is also known as Waiver of Liability Agreement. On signing this form the releasor accepts the risk and other factors involved in the activities and agrees not to sue the releasee for any kind of damage at any time. However Releasee must take care of all the necessary precautionary measures to protect the releasor/participants from any damage. The Release of liability form can also be used under various other situations like property damage or destruction/accident of a car that has already occurred and both the parties agree to make an out of court settlement. A Release of Liability will not protect a releasee or business or entity of an injury occurred/occurring due to lack of care or negligence.
Are you a business or individual or organization who conduct such programs or activities pertaining to risks for participants and looking for release of liability form to have a safe deal? Then you are on the right page and you can find variety of such release liability forms in this page which you can download for free. Customize it if required and use it as per your need.
Different Types of Release of Liability Form
dmv release of liability form
This is also known as the Notice of Release of Liability Information (NRL). When a person sells or transfers their vehicle to another person then it is mandatory for him/her to notify the Department of Motor Vehicles (DVM). This can be done via Notice of Release of Liability Information. This can be used when the owner ship of the vehicle is changed and not required for any legal owner transfers. Once the release of liability information is properly recorded by the DVM, it means that any liability or traffic violations or penalties registered post date of sale is legally applicable only on the person who has purchased the vehicle and you will not be sent/notified any information regarding renewal or other notices about the vehicle. The below information needs to be added as part of the document.
- Vehicle Description: Detailed description of the vehicle including the registered vehicle number (avoid including symbols in the license plate), Vehicle’s year of manufacture/model, vehicle make etc.
- New Owner information: Mention the Name, address and contact information of the new owner to whom the vehicle is sold.
- Odometer reading: Mention the distance covered by the vehicle as per the odometer reading as on date of sale.
- Date of sale
- Seller information: Mention the Name, address and contact information of the person who is selling the vehicle.
- Signature: Dually signed by both the parties.
- Other Information: any specific details about the vehicle can be mentioned
If any of the above information is not mentioned properly or missing in the form then the department might not be able to update the information and may disqualify the forms. We have given sample Notice of Release of Liability form for your better understanding, which you can download for free and made use of it as per your need.
General release of liability form
A General Release of liability form is the most basic one and it will help in handling most of the cases/situations. This can be used in many scenarios like organizing various events like bicycling, conduction fitness classes/programs or wherever there are changes of risk factors involved in performing any task for the participants. This will help in being free from all the points mentioned in the above sections. We have given various general release of liability forms in this page which you can download and modify it as per your need and use it to have a mutual understand between both the parties.
Release of liability form for car / vehicles
This is similar to the DMV Release of liability form, were in the you will have to notify the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) on selling your car to other person and hence you will not be liable to any penalties or other liabilities after the date of sale of the car. When you sell a car without release of liabilities them you may be responsible for any damages made by the other person. Hence it is very important to submit the Release of liability form for the car once it is sold. This form can be submitted with the below information’s filled.
- Name, address and contact information of the person who is selling the car.
- Name, address and contact information of the person who is purchasing the car.
- License plate number of the car.
- Builder Make, year of model and color of the car.
- The vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Odometer reading at the time of the sale.
- The date of the transfer of the car
- Signature/attestation of both the parties.
You can verify the sample release form available here for your reference and make you of it to be free from any liabilities after the date of sale of your car.
Contractor waiver and release of liability form
There are many kinds of works being done on a contract basis which in turn will have various risk factors and hazards involved while performing the work. For example, the Bus service of an organization can be executed by a third party on a contract basis. In that case the contractor waiver and release of liability form needs to be documented and signed by the contractor meaning that any accidents or damages or injuries occurred in the bus or due to the travel in the bus, the contract is responsible for the damage and he has to release the organization from the liability. There are many such scenarios like building contractor etc. The contractor waiver and release of liability form should include the below details.
- Name address and contact information of the contractor
- Detailed description of the clauses included under the release of liability depending on the type of contract
- Acknowledgement of the contractor
- Date from when the form is effective
- Signature of the contractor
You can refer to the contractor waiver and release of liability form available in this page for your reference and the same can be download for free and utilized as per your need.
Homeowner liability waiver release form
This form needs to be signed by the owner of a property which is about to undergo a renovation or repair work and the company who does the work. When a repair work of the house or cleaning, removing of walls or any other structural work is happening there are high possibilities of damages, injuries or even death at times. In order to deal this situation legally it is very important to for both the parties to sign the Homeowner Liability waiver Release form and the below points needs to be covered as part of the waiver release form.
- Detailed address of the property to be repaired
- Name and contact information of the owner of the property
- Start date and end date from when to when the work will be done
- Release of liability clause for the work performed and any damages caused
- Date from when the form is effective
- Signature of both the parties
It is very important to be careful on the liability with regards to the homeowner liability waiver release forms and the above point’s needs to be included as part of it and the sample of homeowner liability form is available in this page for your use which you can afford for free and use it with any required modifications
Medical liability release form
This forms needs to be filled and attested by the parents who are permitting to send their children for any event or competition, meaning they release the liability in case of any accident or injury happens for the student during the event and they would bare the Medical expenses of them in case of no health insurance. Below needs to be covered for any Medical liability release form.
- Name of the event being conducted
- Validity of the release form(dates between which the event is conducted)
- Name of the person who is going to participate in the event.
- All basic details of the participant (Gender/Date of Birth/Age)
- Address and Contact information of the participant
- Parents Name – Name and contact information of both Father and mother.
- Physician details – Specify the details of student’s physician or personal doctor name, who needs to be reached out in case of any emergency of for verification purpose.
- Complete health history of the participant.( For example: Allergy, Convulsions, Medicine Reaction, Heart/lung problems, Physical Handicap or any other problem needs to be specified)
- Liability release clauses as part of form
- Signature of the parents
- Date from when the form is effective.
Auto repair release form
This is a bit similar to the homeowner liability release form except the fact that the repair of vehicle would take place in the vehicle owner premises. This form needs to be filled by the vehicle owner letting the repair company to be free from any liability caused due to the repair work performed in the owner’s premises. Please include the below information as part of any Auto repair release form.
- Name of the owner
- Address of the place where the repair work is about to be undertaken
- Liability clauses – Acknowledgement for the repair company to park and use heavy equipment for performing the repair work
- Allowing the risks pertaining to any oil spillage on the floor in premises and keeping children/pets away from them
- Release of liability when any damage or injury occurs during the repair work
- Name and signature of the owner
- Date from when the form is effective.
Subcontractor waiver and release form
Subcontractor waiver and release form is similar to the contractor waiver release form. The contract release form is between the contractor and the client whereas the subcontract waiver form is between the contractor and the subcontractor, but can be extended to the clients at times. For example, while performing a repair work if the contractor is not able to afford the required number of workers and hires extra members from another contractor then here that third party is known as the subcontractor. And he needs to fill in the Subcontractor waiver and release form agreeing that he is responsible for any damage or injury happens to the workers he sent and release others from that liability. Including the below fields in a subcontractor waiver and release form is mandatory.
- Date from when the form is effective.
- Waiver and Release – release of liability clauses
- Insurance – coverage and Insurance terms applicable in case of any injury or damage
- Medical treatment
- Assumption of Risk – Risk factors involved in performing the work
- Others – Any specific liability release or other terms
- Signature of the Subcontractor and date
- Signature of the witness person.
Employee waiver and release form
This form needs to be filled and signed by the employee on leaving a business/company or on release/termination from a company. The below are the components that needs to be included as part of the form.
- Name of the employee who leave and the name of the company from which he leaves.
- Separation Date: Date on which the employee quits
- Final payment of wages: Details of when and how much would be settled to the employee as part of the release
- Return of properties: Details of the company properties which the employee need to return before the separation date
- Separation Benefits: specify the details pertaining to the company terms and the employee need to acknowledge the same.
- General Release and waiver of claims: Specify the details of all which the employee has and the company is not liable to effective from the date of separation.
- Unemployment Benefits: Mention any specific benefits the employee might afford during the time of unemployment.
- Non-Disparagement: Employee must acknowledge that he will not be responsible for any act against the company post separation date and will not comment on any act that might concern the company.
In addition to these the waiver form may contain addition terms like employee representation, time of signing and revocation of agreement, any captions and headings, governing laws etc. which depends on the company terms and conditions.
Waiver form is nothing but a legal document which helps and protect the event organizers or fitness trainers or sport club organizers or tour organizes in case of any accident or injury happens during the event and release them from being liable to it. Depending upon the scenario any of the above forms can be referred to for filling.
Sample forms for all the above mentioned liabilities are made available in this page for you to pursue and help you in understanding such liabilities releases. This forms are available for free which you can download and print which any required modifications.
Complete Details of Release of Liability Form
In this section we shall look into the details of why we need release of liability form, why it is important and what may happen if we are not using it.
- If you have a written and signed document, then you will have no possibilities of getting sued for any damages or cannot be pulled out to court.
- Having this form will help both the releasee and the releasor save time and money to close the case if any disagreement occurs.
- This helps the releasor avoid arguments and helps in fast settlement and get paid his medical bills or fix his damaged property at the earliest possible.
- This saves time the Releasee, where he can look into developing his business instead of fighting and move on by conducting or organizing next event.
- Basically this will make the Releasor be aware of the danger and risk involved in the event and help them be extra careful.
- This will help relieve from any mental stress regarding the settlements and all settlements will happen according to the document and the state law.
Structure & Components of release of liability form
Here let us discuss about the various parts that needs to be included as part of the release of liability form in order to avoid any future dispute between the parties.
- Releasor:Mention the name of the person who participates in the activity or the one who promises not to sue.
- Releasee:Mention the name of the person or the company or an individual who is liable for the damage and is under the risk of being sued.
- Address: Place of both the Releasor and releasee for contact purpose.
- Effective Date:Date from when the agreement will be under effect
- Event Description/Reason for the form:Mention the detailed description of the activity being held or the description of the accident that has taken place.
- Points to consider: highlight if anything is promised in legal return for signing the document.
- Governing Law:On any disputes that may occur, it will be resolved under that particular state laws and the same can be mentioned in the form.
- Signature: Signature of both the parties involved.
Depending upon the situation this form may also be called as Conditional and Unconditional Waiver Form or General Waiver or Legal Release or Liability Waiver Form or Waiver of Liability Agreement. Waiver form is nothing but the legal document that may be used for the accidents or incidents that have already occurred in the past or may occur in the future depending on the level of risk involved in the activity.
Sample fields & how to fill the waiver form
Let us look into the how and what to fill in a waiver or release form. In generally any waiver form should describe the details of three W’s( who, what and when)
- Person Who assures that they will not sue or take any legal action against the organizer or the other party.
- Description of What amount will be settled or action will be taken in turn for the promise.
- From When the document will be effective. Typically this would be effective even before the activity occurs.
These are the main details that needs to be filled mandatory, as part of any waiver form. Apart from these a liability form also need to address the following details.
- Assumption of Risk: The participant or the client agrees on the risk and hazards involved in the event and further agrees that his/her participation is voluntary and was not forced by anyone. Signing this document legally means he accepts the risk and release the company or organizer or business from any loss or damage that may occur during the event. Description of the details of limitation to the release is very important to be mentioned in the document. For example, what it included, like property damage, personal injury or any injury suffered by the participant.
- Total Indemnification/Insurance: The participant is solely responsible for any compensation and hold responsibility for their own health or medical/life insurance.
- Modification: Any further modification to the agreement should always be given in writing
- Personal Well Being: The participant hereby confirms that they are fit enough to participate in the event.
- Right to Cancel: At any point of time if the company feels that the participation of someone might risk their company or chance of leading them to loss, the company has all rights to cancel the agreement.
- Photographic Releases: By signing the participant agrees to record the photograph and videos taken as part of the event and can be used for various other purposes by the company.
- Parent or Guardian Signature: Any participant under the age of 18 is considered Minor and is not allowed to sign the document unless it is co-signed by a parent or guardian
- Applicable Law: This agreement shall always be applicable according to the laws of states. Any legal proceeding can be taken place in courts located in the client’s city or state.
- Acknowledgment: The participant agrees that he is aware of the risks and accepts to participate and acknowledges the agreement by signing it.
- Witness or notary: Signature of the third party who acknowledges the signature of both the parties.
Kindly ensure to have these above points as part of the agreement and add any future points depending upon the event conducted or the damage expected.
What is a release of liability form?
A Release of Liability form is a legal document or agreement between two parties, which would protect them legally if in case someone is injured while performing any activities
What does a release of claims mean?
The release of claims also known as liability waiver forms might be included as part of a settlement agreement. For example, if your vehicle is involved in an accident because of the other driver’s negligence, then your medical bills might be settled by the insurance company of the other driver. Here the insurance company would ask you to sign in the release of all claims form which agrees to resolve the dispute between both the parties and helps in releasing the opposing party from the liability. A release of claims form should contain all the below information regarding the claim.
- Details of the accident – Detailed information about the accident and the loss or injury occurred
- Claim information – Details of the physical injury and the property damage happened as a result of the accident
- Identification of the parties
- Payment – Details of the payment to be done.
- Governing law
- Releasing Obligation to Pay – No further payments would be made if any damage or injury identified after the settlement of the claim.
Can someone sue you if they sign a waiver?
Well, it is not very true. Waiver are generally meant to keep the participants known about the risk and harm involved in the activity. On signing the document means that they are aware of the risk involved in the event. But it is also to be noted that waiver will not entertain any injury happened due to negligence. It is also to be noted that you any accident or damage or injury has happened purely due to negligence, you can sue even if have signed the waiver
Who is the Releasor and Releasee?
With respect to release of liability, Releasor is a person who participates in the event or activity or the one who promises not to sue in case of any damage occurred and the Releasee is a person or the company who is liable for the damage.
How do I fill out a release of liability form?
Filling of the release of liability forms different for different scenarios. We have described in detail about all the possible scenarios in the above sections. Depending upon your necessity for the release of liability form you may refer to the appropriate topic and fill the form accordingly.
Can you transfer vehicle online?
Yes, it is possible to transfer the vehicle online. The time for transferring the vehicle differs for different states. Depending on the time limit you can transfer vehicle accordingly online in order to avoid the late transfer fee being applied. If the previous owner has submitted the Notice of disposal then it is easy for you to transfer it online. If in case the notice of disposal is not submitted by the previous owner then you need to complete it by approaching the service center directly.
Where can I get a release of liability form?
It is very simple, we have given many of the possible and frequently used release of liability form in this page for you to pursue, which you can download for free, modify it as per your need and use it as per your necessity.
Do liability waivers need to be notarized?
Liability waivers can be notarized but it is not mandatory for the waiver to be valid. Even if it not notarized it is valid if it is signed by the participant or the volunteer. If incase the participant is less than 18 years of age then it needs to be signed by the participant’s parents or any legal guardian for the document to be valid. Even in this case notarization is not needed. But it is good to have the waiver consulted with an attorney and executing it as per the attorney’s instruction and guidance.
Is a release of liability form legal?
Of course yes, it is a legal document and any dispute arising between the parties on the document terms, it can be legally resolved by approaching the courtroom with all necessary documents.
Can you sign away your right to sue?
On signing a waiver does not mean an injured participant cannot sue. It makes the claims of the injured person weak and in some cases it may also lead to the dismissal of the case.
Are waivers of liability enforceable?
The enforceability of a liability waiver depends on the wordings used in the document which needs to be clear and cannot be misinterpreted and the understanding of the parties in the terms and condition involved in the agreement. The enforceability depends on the state and it may vary by state to state. If a liability waiver is included as part of another document then it might not be enforceable if the party who signs it is not knowing it to be a waiver.
What is General Release Agreement?
As mentioned above it is the legal document between business and the participant in order to protect form being sued or altering about the harm and risk involved in the tasks. Kindly refer to the delayed description in the above sections.
Can a minor sign a waiver?
Yes, a minor can sign the waiver. But it will not be valid until the minor’s parents or legal guardian signs the waiver. If the waivers are signed by minor it will not be enforceable until it is acknowledged and signed by the minor’s parents or a legal guardian on their behalf.
How long do you have to keep waivers?
This purely depends on the norms of the organization. The term many vary for different organizations. At the same time if a person or participant is not agreeing to sign the form then they should right away be denied from participating in the event. At the same time if any changes are to be made to the already signed waiver either it should be accepted in the written form or it can also be rejected for any changes.